National Safe Place is a nationally known organization that provides access to immediate help and supportive resources for young people in crisis through a network of sites sustained by qualified agencies, trained volunteers and businesses.
In 2005, Tumbleweed Center for Youth Development was awarded a contract to be the lead local agency in our area for National Safe Place.
Why kids need SafePlace...
Kids experience many difficult situations to include problems at home, problems at school, trouble with peers, being locked out of the house, riding with an unsafe driver, or being in a dangerous situation on a date.
Kids also leave home for many reasons such as to escape abuse or neglect, drug or alcohol problems of family members, family members who make them leave or maybe they feel they just don't belong. Many times leaving home is not a choice they want to make. Yet national agencies estimate that over one million young people run away from home each year.
No matter what the reason, kids do have a safer alternative. They can go to any designated Safe Place site to get immediate help. These young people deserve access to a Safe Place and a chance to think through their problems with the support of caring adults.
How SafePlace Works...
1) A youth in crisis walks into a designated Safe Place location (ALL QuikTrip stores in our area and Arizona Federal Credit Unions are authorized SafePlaces and are identified by a Safe Place sign or decal at each location) and tells the first available employee that they need Safe Place help.
2) The employee will find a quiet, comfortable place for the youth to wait while they call the local Safe Place contact.
3) The Safe Place contact will call the location back to identify the volunteer or staff member who will come to meet the young person at the location.
4) Ideally, within 20-30 minutes, the Safe Place volunteer (on-call driver's are NEEDED) or staff member will arrive to talk with the youth and transport him or her to the agency for counseling, support, a place to stay or other resources.
5) Once at the agency, counselors meet with the youth and provide support, resources and help. They make sure the youth and their families receive the help and professional referrals they need. (Family members or guardians are called to let them know that their youth is safe.) The youth serving agency helps the youth and the family through a difficult time or crisis situation through counseling and support services.
6) Most young people hear about Safe Place during school presentations. Each student is presented with a Safe Place information card. This card has the local Safe Place phone number and tells them that Safe Place help is free and confidential. Teens also hear about the program through word of mouth and public service announcements on radio or TV.
Benefits of Safe Place
- Youth are able to ACCESS help at any hour of the day or night.
- Connection with Safe Place EXPANDS the reach of existing youth service agencies.
- The Safe Place sign offers increased VISIBILITY for youth service agencies.
- Safe Place provides numerous opportunities for the community to COLLABORATE to keep youth safer.
Our current local SafePlace Partners...
A youth in crisis can walk into ANY of the following authorized establishments (SafePlace signs are displayed at every location) and tell the first available employee that they need SafePlace help.
The employee will find a quiet, comfortable place for the youth to wait while they call Tumbleweed Center for Youth Development for help!
THANK YOU TO ALL 127 SAFE PLACE
** DO YOU WANT YOUR PLACE OF BUSINESS TO BECOME A SAFE PLACE??
Contact us for more information on how you can VOLUNTEER your time
Main office # (602)-271-9904