As Tumbleweed prepares an early autumn ribbon cutting for our new Phoenix Youth Resource Center at 428 N. 24th Street, we are issuing a call to local artists to design and install original works of art on the building’s front exterior wall.
Called the “Wonderwall,” the project is inspired by lyrics to the Oasis song:
“Because maybe, you’re gonna be the one that saves me. And after all, you’re my wonderwall.”
The wall is architecturally divided into six panels. Five of these are designated for artwork. The sixth space will be left blank, signifying the future as a “blank slate” for youth to create an independent, productive young adulthood.
Facts artists need to know:
- Each panel 11’ long and 7’6” high with a 4’3” protective overhang
- The wall is east facing and approximately 100 feet from the 24th Street curb
- The surface is stucco or similar to stucco. This surface may not be physically altered to accommodate installation.
- Installation will take place in mid-to-late September and the artist must be present to install during the specified period
- The artist will retain ownership of the image for the purpose of use in promotional materials/portfolios, including photographs of the installed work and the use of the Tumbleweed name in identifying the location.
- THE WORKS WILL BE UNVEILED FOR THE FIRST TIME, SIMULTANEOSULY, at the Tumbleweed Phoenix Youth Resource Center ribbon-cutting event, at a date to be determined.
- Artists are highly encouraged to attend the event and be recognized publicly. Families and friends are welcome.
- Sharing of selected art in promotional materials or on social media prior to the unveiling is not permitted.
- The deadline to submit art via the submission web site is Friday, August 26, 2016 at midnight
- Selection of ten finalists will be made by an internal Tumbleweed Committee
- Finalists’ proposed artwork will be posted on tumbleweed.org and a social media campaign seeking public input on the five final selections will take place prior to a final selection being made. The purpose of this is to raise public awareness and to present an opportunity for public input for this highly visible project.
- THE FINAL SELECTIONS ARE ENTIRELY AT THE DISCRETION AND THE CHOICE OF THE TUMBLEWEED SLECTION COMMITEEE.
Enter your project for consideration in the Wonderwall
Email questions/comments to email@example.com